I love being in training. There is something about working toward a goal that motivates me to keep moving. Last summer I did my first Sprint Triathlon and I fell in love with the sport. Who would love a sport that combines swimming, cycling and running all into one event! Ok, there may be some people, but I love it! I did My First Tri (http://trifitnesswbl.com/as_my-first-tri) back in August. My goal was to finish in 1 hour 45 minutes, and I did it in 1 hour 43 minutes. There is lots of room for improvement, but I finished in the time I wanted to!
This year I have been working hard on my running game. I had the crazy idea to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon in 2016 with my friends from college. I am working on increasing my distance as well as improving my time. I have several running races planned for this year leading up to it.
- Resolution Run (5K) – Dec 31 – This one was COLD and icy…so my time was not great 50 minutes roughly.
- Unleash the She (10K) – April 26 – Rochester
- Med City Marathon Relay – (2nd leg – 7 miles) May 24 Rochester
- Big Woods Run (10K) – October 11 – or perhaps a different fall one
- Monster Dash (10 Mile) – October 31
- Disney Princess Half (13.1 Miles ) – Feb 2016
My pace for a 5K has typically been around 15 – 16 minutes per mile. I am starting to see some of my shorter runs down in the 14 minute per mile range, so my time is starting to improve. My longest distance has increased to 6.3 Miles at this point, so I am ready for my 10K at the end of the month. I am doing better distance-wise than I thought I would be at this time of year, so I may try and add some other longer races this fall so the Princess one is not my first half…we will see how the summer goes .
There are also a couple of Sprint Triathlons I am thinking about doing this summer. I was going to skip them this year, but they offered a Triathlon Swimming class at my gym. I totally signed up for it, and had my first class this week. It is GREAT. I know it is going to make me want to do at least one race this summer so I can try out what I have learned in an actual race. The two I have been thinking about are:
- Rochesterfest Triathlon Sprint (1/4 Mile Swim – 10 Mile Bike – 5k Run) – June 21 – Rochester
- Toughman Minnesota Sprint (1/4 mile swim, 22 mile bike, 3.1 mile run) – July 26 – Chisago City
Very excited for the coming year and what it will bring for me and my health!