EVERYONE LOVES this soup recipe! It has a lot of veggies in it, and even people who don’t eat veggies regularly love it. A couple of tweaks that I make.
- I substitute Turkey sausage and it tastes just as good with less greasy meat.
- To serve to people who are not as fond of vegetables, puree them in the blender. To serve to people who like vegetable chunks, you can food process, or chop by hand 🙂
Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 1 lb Italian Sausage (ground)
- 1 lb Italian Sausage (links)
Fry and drain the ground sausage. Chop up the links.
- 1 large green pepper
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms
- 1 bunch green onions (use all of onion)
- 1 medium onion
Chop above ingredients. Add meat and chopped ingredients to the following:
- 4 medium whole tomatoes (pureed in blender, or diced)
- 50-60 oz. of chicken broth
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. fennel seed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
Simmer for 1 hour, add two 9 oz. packages of fresh cheese tortellini. Simmer until tortellini is done.
If making in crock pot, boil broth and veggies on stovetop for about 20 minutes. Transfer to crock pot and add meat. Add tortellini when there is about 1 hour until serving time.
Top with fresh parmesean cheese, if desired.